If you have chicken in your weekly dinner rotation, make some extra and…
If chicken and rice doesn’t scream down-home comfort food, we don’t know what does. Whether it’s in a soup, as a main course, or baked into a steaming casserole, we can’t get enough of this combo, and this is one of our favorite ways to serve and eat it! If you’ve got chicken in your weekly dinner rotation, make some extra and serve it up in this casserole. Combined with rice, veggies and a thick and creamy sauce, this dish definitely hits the spot and warms you up from the inside out – it’s perfect!
Chicken And Rice Casserole
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter, then whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth.
- While whisking continuously, gradually pour in milk and chicken broth and stir until totally incorporated.
- Add chicken, rice and veggies to the broth mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer chicken and rice mixture to baking dish and sprinkle parmesan and breadcrumbs evenly over the top.
- Cut up remaining butter into small pieces and dot those over the breadcrumbs.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Food