This creamy, hearty chicken soup comes together in just 30 minutes!
There’s no doubt about it – autumn is here. I, for one, love the cooler weather and crisp fall air. I love the colors, the flavors, and warming up after being out in the chillier weather. One of my favorite meals to have during the fall and winter months is soup. What is it about hot soup that just warms you up from head to toe?
I love all kinds of soups, from brothy to creamy, wild rice to noodles, chicken, beef, vegetarian, I don’t discriminate. As a bit of a self-proclaimed connoisseur of soups, I can confidently say this Cream Cheese Chicken Soup is on my top 5 favorite soups list! And that’s saying something. My list is pretty extensive.
I used to think soups required hours of simmering and a delicate blend of seasonings to really bring out the flavor. While those things can help for certain recipes like chili or anything you’d make in a slow cooker, there are tons of soup recipes without a laundry list of ingredients. Adding on to that, there are lots of recipes that only take 30-45 minutes from start to finish. For example, this Cream Cheese Chicken Soup.
It’s actually such a simple recipe it’s not even fair, but I’m not complaining. I’m always on the hunt for delicious, filling meals that can be done in about 30 minutes. What’s not to love about that? The hardest part about this recipe is chopping the veggies. Everything else is easy peasy.
Once you have the onion, carrots, and Yukon Gold potatoes chopped and ready to go, melt some butter in a large pot. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes before tossing in carrots, potatoes, and broth. Cook for 15 minutes, then add chicken and seasonings.
Make the roux – flour and milk – in a separate bowl, then stir into the pot. Last but certainly not least, stir in 8oz of cream cheese. Let the soup cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the cream cheese has melted. That’s really all there is to it!
You can serve this dinner with a side of bread, crackers, or whatever your heart desires. If you’re a fan of hearty, filling soups, then this is definitely one recipe you won’t want to pass up!
Cream Cheese Chicken Soup
Serves 6-8 Prep 10m Cook 20m
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add in the chicken, parsley, basil, and garlic, stirring to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and milk until smooth. Pour into the pot and stir.
- Finally, add cream cheese to the soup and let it cook for 5 minutes or until the cream cheese is completely melted.
- Serve up hot with a side of bread!
Recipe adapted from Together As Family.