If you’re someone who could eat cookie dough by the spoonful or if cooke dough ice cream is your favorite flavor, then this cookie recipe is for you. Making these will require an egg-free dough for the center, but the extra effort of making two doughs is completely worth it for the unique finished result. These cookies are unlike anything else we’ve tried.
The trick to making these ooey gooey stuffed chocolate chip cookies is to freeze the first batch of dough. Then this dough (with no eggs) is used as the center around which the final chocolate chip dough is molded.
Once this is all baked up you’re left with a conventional cookie on the outside, but a lavishly tender and melted interior that tastes more of the raw dough.
One of the nice things about this recipe is that you can make the eggless dough ahead of time and freeze it. Then when you’re in the mood for a really special chocolate chip cookie you can make a batch of the outer cookie dough and you’re all set to make the recipe without the wait time.
If you’ve ever wanted a lot more cookie dough flavor in your cookies or if you’ve even chanced salmonella in order to sneak a bite of raw cookie dough (which we do not recommend) then try this recipe and see if it doesn’t just the spot.
Cookie Dough Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
About 30 cookies
2h 45m prep time
30m cook time
3h 30m inactive
For inner dough
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For outer dough
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Cream together butter and sugar of inner dough in a medium bowl. Add salt, vanilla, and milk and stir.
- Slowly add in flour and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Roll into 3 /4” - 1” balls and place on a baking sheet. Freeze for at least 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat sheet.
- For the outer cookie dough cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add in vanilla and egg and incorporate well.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix thoroughly. Add this mixture to the creamed sugar and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Measure outer dough by heaping spoonfuls. Roll into balls and flatten out. Place one frozen dough ball into each cookie dough “wrapper”. Manipulate the outer dough until it completely covers the inner dough.
- Place cookies 2” apart on baking sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until bottom of cookies is beginning to brown and crisp. Allow to cool for 3 minutes before transferring to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Allow cookies to cool another 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Cookies and Cups.