This stuff is every bit as delicious as the traditional dessert!!
There’s something so special to us about coconut cream pie. It’s unclear what it is specifically about that sweet and creamy dessert, but it brings back great childhood memories and always puts a smile on our faces. Whenever we get a hankering for it, we’ll typically make one the traditional way, but the other day was a scorcher and we knew we wanted to try things a little differently…enter: the coconut cream icebox cake.
That’s right, this is a deliciously refreshing dessert that has all the yummy flavors we know and love, just turned into a no-bake dessert that’s perfect on a hot summer day. We used crushed graham crackers, which reminded us of the beach, but in case you feel like avoiding sandy vibes, feel free to use whole crackers…it tastes amazing either way!
Coconut Icebox Cake
Serves 8; 30 minutes active; 4 hours inactive
- 2 (3.4 oz.) packages instant coconut cream pudding mix
- 1 (16 oz.) package graham crackers, whole or crushed
- 1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- Toast 1 cup coconut flakes in a medium pan over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly so they don’t burn.
- Line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, then cover completely with one layer of graham cracker crumbs.
- In a large bowl, combine pudding packets, frozen whipped topping, and milk, and pour half of mixture evenly over grahams. Top with 1/2 cup coconut flakes.
- Add another layer of graham cracker crumbs, top with remaining pudding mixture, and one final layer of graham crackers.
- In a separate bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Start with one cup of powdered sugar and add more until frosting is at desired consistency.
- Spread frosting evenly over cake, then sprinkle with toasted coconut. Cover, and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from freezer. Slice, serve, and enjoy!