A special take on the classic brownie.
Fans of Indian cuisine will know burfi as a creamy, sweet dessert that’s often spiced with cardamom. The base is made from milk powder or condensed milk and the other main flavor in different burfi recipes can vary, but cashew, mango, coconut, or almond are popular additions. This creates a complex taste combination.
In these coconut burfi brownies the top layer has that creamy burfi texture, while the base is a rich brownie. The flavors come together beautifully for a special sweet treat that’s both satisfying and unexpected.
The brownie layer for this recipe isn’t all that unlike many other brownies. As with other recipes the best texture (in my opinion) for brownies is achieved when you underbake the recipe just a little bit. This lends it a denser and more decadent texture.
You’ll need to let the brownie layer cool completely before adding the topping so that you don’t crush the base and so that you don’t end up with melted burfi on your creation.
The burfi layer is a really simple mix of sweetened condensed milk, shredded coconut, and ground cardamom. This last ingredient makes the dessert something out of the ordinary!
Once you have your burfi layer really packed down onto the brownie layer let it chill before moving onto to the final step- a drizzle of chocolate on top.
These sweet, spiced, fudge-y coconut burfi brownies are a little like Mounds bars in brownie form, only the cardamom to me places them in a league all their own. These are must-try for coconut lovers!
Coconut Burfi Brownies
Makes 16 brownies
2h prep time
22m cook time
For the brownie layer:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 sea salt, divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 3 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 oz semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. In another bowl mix together butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla, then add dry ingredients to wet. Pour into a greased and lined 8"x8" baking dish.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool completely before topping.
For the topping:
- In a medium bowl combine coconut with condensed milk and cardamom. Spread over brownies and level with back of spoon. Make sure to press down firmly so that the topping stays on the brownies while being cut and handled.
- Combine chocolate chips with coconut oil. Melt chocolate in microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each time. Drizzle over topping and place in refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Recipe adapted from Delish.