We feel like coffee cake is a supremely underrated dessert – we never think to make it, since we get distracted with other desserts that seem a bit flashier or more exciting, but then every time we have it we kick ourselves for not making it more frequently! There’s something about it that we can’t get enough of, so we thought we’d make a version of it this past weekend…but with a little twist.
Instead of just the coffee cake batter, we also added in one, more unexpected ingredient: cinnamon rolls. Yup, we popped over to the refrigerated aisle and found our go-to canned cinnamon rolls, then pressed them into the bottom of our springform pan to form the crust, or bottom layer of the cake. The standard batter then gets poured on top, and you top things off with a cinnamon sugar sprinkle that ties all the flavors together. Once it bakes to perfection, you can take the same icing that comes with the refrigerated buns and just drizzle it over the whole thing. So yummy!
What you get with this recipe is a dish that’s perfect for any brunch or holiday festivities you may have on the horizon – it tastes amazing and slices into perfectly layered pieces where you get cinnamon-sprinkled and icing-drizzled bit in every bite. Don’t skip this – it’s irresistible.
Cinnamon Roll Cake
- 1 (12.4 oz.) can refrigerated cinnamon rolls, icing reserved
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a pie plate or springform pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- Remove cinnamon rolls from packaging and place them in greased pie plate. Use your fingers or the bottom of a measuring cup to flatten rolls into an even layer, forming a crust that goes partially up the sides of pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes, or until fluffy and lightened in color.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, alternate between adding the flour mixture and sour cream, mixing until everything is just incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together topping ingredients (cinnamon, sugar and brown sugar).
- Pour cake batter on top of cinnamon roll-lined pie pan and smooth into an even layer.
- Sprinkle cinnamon brown sugar topping over cake batter, then place in oven and bake for 32-34 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Warm icing that came with cinnamon rolls and drizzle over cake. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Tablespoon