Do you love churros but have no interest in making an authentic version for yourself? Same here. We absolutely adore eating those crispy, crunchy, fried pieces of heaven, but have no interest in making them for ourselves and instead save them for fairs and sports events. However, we’ve found a way to get that same amazing flavor that completely bypasses any vats of hot oil. Victory!
This churro popcorn is basically a healthier alternative to shoveling 12 churros into our mouths. Since there’s no fried dough involved and popcorn is the base here, we think that gives us free reign to eat as much as possible – although it’s still covered in a cinnamon sugar mixture, so it’s not exactly health food…but we digress. This churro popcorn is just as addictive a snack as it is a dessert, plus it makes for the perfect movie night snack. Skip the regular popcorn and spruce it up so it resembles our favorite Mexican and Spanish treat!
- 1 (2.75 oz.) bag popcorn, popped
- 1 cup cinnamon or toffee chips
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- Place popcorn in a large bowl.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Place cinnamon chips and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk together until fully melted and smooth.
- Pour mixture cinnamon mixture over popcorn, using a rubber spatula to toss until everything is evenly coated, then top with powdered sugar mixture and toss to combine.
Recipe adapted from Oh Sweet Basil