Are you ready for a decadent dessert with three layers of sweet, sugary goodness? This Chocolate Mint Poke Cake will satisfy your sweet tooth in a uniquely delicious way!
With chocolate cake, a chocolate pudding filling, and a layer of mint cheesecake, this is one rich dessert that’s sure to be a hit with friends and family – that is, if you even want to share it with them. Hey, no judgment here.
Part of the magic of this dessert is the fact that it’s a poke cake. What’s a poke cake, you ask? It’s simply a method of preparing cake that involves poking holes into the baked cake with the end of a wooden spoon or similarly shaped object. Then, a filling is poured over the top, in this case, chocolate pudding. The end result is a moist cake with a fun little surprise! What’s even better is that it takes hardly any extra effort to add that layer of sweet, sugary goodness.
Now, let’s talk about the mint cheesecake layer. I’m a fan of chocolate, of course, but what really brings everything together is the rich, creamy, mint cheesecake. With cream cheese, powdered sugar, mint extract, and Cool Whip, it’s the perfect topping to an already fabulous dessert!
The recipe itself is pretty straightforward. You’ll start with the cake layer, combining all the cake ingredients and baking for 30-40 minutes at 350F. Then, whip up the chocolate pudding according to package directions, poke holes on top of the cake, and pour the pudding on top. Let this cool for a few hours in the fridge to help everything set.
Next, beat together softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth, followed by mint extract. Add Cool Whip and mix to combine, then add green food coloring a few drops at a time until you reach the desired color. Spread the mint cheesecake layer over the top of the cake and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles and drizzle chocolate syrup if desired.
Refrigerate this masterpiece for a few more hours before serving. Check out the full ingredient list and step-by-step instructions below!
Chocolate Mint Poke Cake
10m prep time
35m cook time
For chocolate cake:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup brewed coffee (or 1 cup boiling water if you don't like coffee)
For chocolate pudding:
- 2 boxes 3.9 ounces instant chocolate pudding
- 4 cups milk
For mint cheesecake layer:
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- Green food coloring
- 2 cups Cool Whip-thawed
- Chocolate sprinkles, optional
- Chocolate syrup, optional
To make chocolate cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 9x13 inch baking dish, set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, coffee, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until combined (the batter will look runny).
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and use the handle of a wooden spoon to gently poke holes all over the top of the cake. Set aside.
To make chocolate pudding:
- Whisk together the pudding mix and milk until well blended.
- Pour pudding over warm cake. Refrigerate cake for 2 hours to allow pudding to settle and set up.
To make mint cheesecake layer:
- In a large bowl, beat softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Mix in mint extract.
- Add Cool Whip and mix to combine then add green food coloring a few drops at a time until you reach the desired color.
- Spread the mint cheesecake layer over the top of the cake and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles and drizzle chocolate syrup if desired.
- Refrigerate for a few more hours until set.
Recipe adapted from Yummiest Food.