In the past (and let’s be real – it’ll probably happen in the future too), we’ve been known to eat a far-too-large helping of frosting with a spoon, right out of the bowl, before it even makes it onto the cake. This particular frosting is usually involved as the party to blame in that scenario. Not us. No way. This frosting is too impossible to resist, and so a taste or two (or twelve…) just can’t be helped.
You see, it’s a cream cheese frosting so it’s tangy and sweet and silky smooth, but it’s also backed by the deep, comforting flavor of chocolate. What we’re saying is it’s the stuff dreams are made of. And it takes all of ten minutes to make.
You let your butter and cream cheese soften a bit on the counter before you mix them up until they’re smooth. Then you mix in the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt until it’s fluffy and thick and totally tempting. As with all frostings, the measurements are flexible. Add more powdered sugar for a thicker frosting, stir in a teaspoon or two of cream to thin it out if that’s what you’re looking for.
It goes well with pretty much anything (or, ahem, nothing at all) and it’s impossibly simple. And impossibly good.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Serves 18-24 cupcakes or 2-layer cake
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- heavy cream, as needed
- Pinch of kosher salt
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached, mixing on low. Add the cocoa powder and salt and mix on low until thoroughly combined.
- Turn mixer to high and beat until fluffy, 2-3 minutes. If frosting is too thick, add heavy cream 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Enjoy!