Bread pudding is one of those classic desserts that some people might think of as old fashioned. The recent return of this dish to menus in restaurants shows just how timeless it is, yet how many times do bread pudding recipes get passed over for more “exciting” desserts like chocolate cake or cake pops? Well, it’s about time this confection got an upgrade that everyone will enjoy.
Bread pudding is usually flavored with nutmeg, fruit, or even just a little bit of vanilla extract. But, this recipe kicks it up a notch with the addition of creamy chocolate and a fair bit of cinnamon. The result is a dessert with a deep flavor that’s anything but boring. The taste of chocolate can be intensified with coffee, fruit, or in this case, cinnamon. This spice really brings out the different elements of the chocolate and it’s a winning combination.
To start making this recipe you’ll want to use a bread that isn’t too soft. Farmhouse, sourdough, and challah are all excellent choices for this recipe. Strong flavors like rye should be avoided, while plain white sandwich bread may fall apart in the oven and doesn’t add much flavor.
After pulling the bread into chunky pieces (or cutting them per your preference) you’re ready to start melting the chocolate. Either using short intervals in the microwave or a double boiler, melt 1 cup of chocolate chips until smooth. Do not overheat.
To this you’ll add sugar, salt, cinnamon, milk, and eggs. Once the coating is prepared you’ll add it to the bread chunks, completely coating each piece. Then let that sit for at least 10 minutes. Don’t skimp on the time with this step as it gives the bread time to absorb some of the yummy, chocolatey liquid.
Then pour the bread pudding mixture into a greased 8×8 baking pan and bake for 25-35 minutes. This dessert is wonderful when served with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. It’s also really good with a splash of heavy cream or even evaporated milk. Enjoy!
Chocolate Cinnamon Bread Pudding
20m prep time
40m cook time
Vegetarian diet suitable
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cup bread cubes (sourdough, farmhouse, or challah are all good options)
- Preheat oven 350˚. Grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- Melt chocolate over a double boiler or by heating for 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring between each interval. Do not overheat chocolate.
- Combine melted chocolate in a large mixing bowl with sugar, salt and cinnamon. Slowly add milk to mixture, stirring constantly.
- Whisk eggs into mixture and add bread cubes. Toss to coat completely. Allow bread to soak in mixture for at least 10 minutes before pouring into baking dish. Level with spoon or knife.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until just barely still wobbly. Optional: serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Recipe adapted from Pastry Wiz.