Nothing says “I love you” quite like a chocolate cherry brownie!
I’m starting to think about what I want to bake as Valentine’s Day treat for my family. Of course, that means something chocolatey. I love a good homemade brownie and that’s what I’ve settled on here, but to make it a little more on-theme for the holiday, I’m going to add something colorful, sweet, and a little bit tart – some maraschino cherries! The end result is the perfect way to bake a little love into our favorite brownies.
I’m looking for a brownie that strikes the right balance of fudgy and light, and I think this brownie does just that. I really like to mix up my sugars, especially because brown sugar is just so, so, SO delicious. I like its subtle warmth and depth that it brings to the brownies. Sifting my dry ingredients is a bit of an extra step but I like what it does to the texture of my brownies. I could eat the batter straight out of the bowl, but I must complete my Valentine’s Day treat.
The brownie batter is an important part of this recipe but the real jewel here is the pop of color and flavor from the cherries. If maraschino cherries aren’t your cup of tea, then I recommend replacing them with some dried cherries. They’re a little more on the tart side and a bit chewier but they’re equally as delicious. I just adore those ruby globes that float throughout the depths of the chocolate brownies. Their sweet-tart flavor is a fun flavor and texture experience packed into each bite of these delicious brownies.
A warm brownie is absolutely irresistible but it is super important to let your brownies cool before they come out of the baking dish. I love how the cherries show on the sides of each slice. Serve these as they are, but I think they’re extra special with a scoop of cool, creamy vanilla (or cherry) ice cream. What better way to say “I love you” than with a chocolate cherry brownie!
Chocolate Cherry Brownies
Makes 12-16 brownies; 15 minutes active; 45 minutes inactive
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (10 oz) jar maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan with butter and flour. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, salt, cocoa powder, and cinnamon into a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk both sugars with the melted butter. Once well blended, add vanilla extract and eggs. Whisk until combined.
- Slowly add dry mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until batter comes together.
- Fold the cherries into the batter then pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for at least 10-15 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
Recipe adapted from Cherry Man.