Chicken parmesan – or chicken parmigiana if you’re being precise – is a dish that’s easy to love. With crispy breadcrumb coated chicken, gooey melted cheese, and bright tomato sauce, it has an irresistible combination of textures and flavors. Our version takes those classic flavors and switches up the method just a bit so that it all comes together as one easy oven bake. Made this way, the sauce surrounds each piece of chicken as it cooks which keeps the meat moist and flavorful. It’s our favorite way to make chicken parm, and we have a hunch it’ll be yours too.
To make sure that each piece of chicken is exquisitely crispy, we still go to the “trouble” of coating each one in breadcrumbs and browning it quickly on both sides. You could take a shortcut by leaving the chicken naked, surrounding them with sauce and then topping the whole dish with cheese and breadcrumbs, but it just doesn’t offer the same totally thorough crunch that we love so much.
The sauce here is quick, but still head and shoulders above anything you’ll find on a grocery store shelf. Like regular chicken parm, our casserole-style version is delicious served over pasta but it’s filling enough to stand on its own as well. We love that it works as a casual weeknight meal or something for more formal guests to gush over. It’s a simple, crowd-pleasing classic… just made a little bit easier.
Chicken Parmesan Bake
Serves 6-8; 45 minutes
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a large baking dish. Set aside.
- Begin by making the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Ad onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes, then add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add tomato puree, oregano, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, 10-15 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, brown the chicken:
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- To a separate shallow bowl, add breadcrumbs, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in egg mixture, coating well and shaking off excess. Then, press chicken into breadcrumb mixture, coating each piece evenly.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot and shimmering, cook chicken until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a paper towel lined plate to cool as you work.
- Spread half of the sauce into the prepared baking dish and arrange chicken pieces evenly across the dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce around and on top of chicken and top evenly with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, 20-25 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from Eat Well 101.