This literally couldn’t be easier. Or tastier.
While I may be getting a bit redundant in proclaiming my love for the dump and bake casserole, I just want to make sure everyone knows the glory of this easy dinner option! It’s a method where you just stir a handful of ingredients together in a casserole dish, cover it all with foil, and bake. That’s it, that’s literally all you do! You don’t have to boil a single noodle. And this particular one happens to be Chicken Cordon Bleu themed, so it features a creamy Swiss cheese-infused sauce, cubes of savory ham and chicken, and plenty of oh-so crispy breadcrumbs. (In other words, it’s positively scrumptious.)
It’s not a lot of ingredients to mess with, but it feels like it’s packed with flavor and it sure is filling. It’s also very little work to throw together. You just stir together chicken broth, Alfredo sauce, and some white wine – that’s the sauce that everything cooks in – and then fold in some Swiss cheese, cooked chicken, penne pasta, and ham.
You cover it and let it bake and once the noodles are nearly done, you top it with some more Swiss cheese and a generous helping of breadcrumbs that have been tossed in some melted butter before returning it to the oven. The top gets melty and golden brown, while the pasta becomes al dente in the creamy sauce that surrounds it so it takes on some of that wonderful savory flavor.
It’s one of those meals that literally couldn’t be easier to make, but it’s also hard to imagine it being any more delicious. The combination of chewy pasta, creamy sauce, and crispy breadcrumbs is one you want to keep coming back to… but it’s filling enough that you might not make it through as many helpings as you’d like!
Dump and Bake Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
5m prep time
50m cook time
- 1 (22 oz) jar Alfredo sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 (16 oz) package penne pasta
- 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese, grated and divided
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ham, diced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped, as needed (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Add Alfredo sauce, chicken broth, and wine to the baking dish and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in uncooked pasta, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, chicken, and ham. Season with salt and pepper, stir again, and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake 40 minutes, remove from oven and stir. If pasta is al dente, move on to next step. If not, cover and return to oven.
- Once pasta is al dente, uncover casserole and top with remaining Swiss cheese. Stir together melted butter and breadcrumbs and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until cheese has melted and breadcrumbs are golden brown, 5-10 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving, garnish with fresh parsley (if using) and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Seasoned Mom.