You won’t believe how good this is once you put it all together…
When we think of Southwest cuisine, we imagine the diversity of foods prepared and eaten by Spanish settlers, cowboys, Native Americans and Mexicans – staples like corn and other grains, pungent spices and of course, fiery chillies. We’ve rounded up the best of the Southwest and created a one-bowl dish featuring black beans, healthy quinoa, roasted corn and avocado, combined with blackened chicken and topped with a creamy chipotle sauce. Simple, fresh and delicious with just the right amount of heat!
We love this dish so much, we’ve made it multiple times in the last few weeks – what makes things even better is that you can order the full meal (all the ingredients, along with the directions) from Chef’d. Order your meal here and let the meal practically cook itself!
Southwest Chicken Bowl
Serves 4; 30 minutes
- 2 (5.46 oz.)pkts Black bean quinoa
- 2 Ears of corn
- 2 Limes
- 4 Green onions
- 1/2oz Fresh cilantro
- 2 Avocados
- 1/3 cup Sour cream
- 2tbsp Chipotle puree
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 2tbsp Blackening spice
- In a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat,fluff and keep warm for plating.
- Meanwhile, place the corn, cut side down, on the cutting board, holding it near the top of the ear. Using a sharp knife, start at the top and cut downward with a gentle sawing motion, cutting corn off the cob. Continue cutting until all of the corn is removed.
- In a small bowl juice the lime; set aside.
- Slice the green onion into 1⁄4” thin slices.
- Remove leaves from the cilantro stems and discard stems.
- Rough chop leaves and set aside.
- Slice through the avocados lengthwise around the pit and twist the two halves apart.
- Carefully remove the pit from the avocado. Use your knife’s tip to score avocado flesh without piercing the skin, making squares. Then scoop out the avocado and place in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine sour cream, chipotle puree and only HALF of the lime juice along with 1⁄4 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Pat dry the chicken breast with paper towels and coat each chicken breast with the blackening spice.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
- When pan is hot, add the chicken and cook for 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from pan and set aside to rest.
- Slice the chicken into 1⁄2” pieces; set aside.
- Add the corn kernels to the pan along with 1⁄4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the avocado, cilantro and remaining lime juice; set aside.
- Add the green onions to the quinoa and mix to combine.
- In the center of four bowls place the quinoa. Place the corn and avocado mixture on one top of the quinoa. Place the diced chicken on top of the quinoa next to the corn and avocado.
- Drizzle the chipotle sauce over the chicken. Enjoy!