Zucchini. It’s probably the most bountiful of garden vegetables and it’s healthy, tasty and versatile to boot. It’s also kind of fun to say. Whether you grow your own or your neighbors are trying to pawn them off on you by the armful in the height of summer, it seems like there’s always more than enough zucchini to go around.
We happen to love this prolific squash, but there does usually seem to be more than you know what to do with. It can be grilled, baked, or simply sautéed, but we are of the opinion that vegetables are even better with a sizable helping of cheese, so we are partial to this wonderful vegetable casserole.
We’ve taken a trio of zucchini, onions, and tomatoes, and baked them in a blanket of creamy and cheesy goodness. It’s downright delicious and we just love that this casserole is adaptable enough that you can add your favorite vegetables to it. A combination of yellow squash and zucchini is super tasty and we love to add eggplant if we happen to have some on hand too.
We think it’s hearty enough to serve as a main dish but not too heavy to use as a side. And without any rice, potatoes, or pasta, this is a lower carb casserole, which is a great thing to have in your repertoire. Hey, it’s nice to have options! The eggs and dairy mean you’re getting a healthy dose of protein and it’s naturally gluten-free. Aside from all that, it’s yummy as can be, which is the reason we love it the most!
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
1 hour to prepare serves 4-6
- 4 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons green onions or chives, chopped, for garnish
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, then add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes before adding squash and tomatoes.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 more minutes. Add garlic and thyme, cook one more minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine eggs, sour cream, 1 cup cheddar cheese in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add vegetable mixture to bowl and stir to coat.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish and top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered until top is golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with chives or green onions and additional cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Adapted from Kalyns Kitchen.