There has never been a better combination than cheese and potatoes. Something about this pairing is a total crowd pleaser no matter what form it takes. However, we had never seen a potato chip pie before! This recipe uses plain potato chips combined with 2 kinds of cheese, Greek yogurt, and spices for a flavorful potato pie that requires no slicing, except for the garnish.
This cheesy potato chip pie is a novel take on potatoes au gratin, but with a couple of big twists. To make this savory pie you start by combining cream, yogurt, eggs, and melted butter with spices (paprika, dill, thyme, salt, and pepper) in a large bowl.
Once this is whisked together you toss in the potato chips. You want them to be completely coated -but not broken- so a gentle touch is required here. We find that plain chips are best for this recipe, so we don’t recommend wavy chips or Pringles as the chips need to withstand being baked in a yummy sauce in the oven.
Once the chips are drenched in the cream mixture pour half the chips into a greased 9-inch pie pan, then top with half the cheese. Repeat with a second layer of chips and another of cheese. Then bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top becomes lightly browned. Top with a some sliced green onions if desired for a bit more flavor and punch.
This creamy dish has so much flavor from the herbs and also from the yogurt. It’s rich comfort food, but it takes so little work to get this dish on the table that it’s something anyone can try. For a different take on potatoes try this wonderful cheesy potato chip pie ASAP.
Cheesy Potato Chip Pie
15m prep time
30m cook time
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter butter
- 4 cups plain potato chips
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease a 9-inch pie pan.
- In a very large bowl whisk together cream, yogurt, eggs, melted butter, and spices.
- Add 2 cups potato chips to cream mixture and very gently toss to coat the chips, but do not break them.
- Scoop out the coated chips, leaving the rest of the cream mixture in the bowl. Pour the chips into the pie pan and top with half the cheeses.
- Pour the remaining 2 cups of chips into the cream mixture and coat again. Pour the rest of the bowl into the pie pan and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese on top is beginning to brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then served with chopped green onion on top.
Recipe adapted from Oh Bite It.