Being on keto, or any diet really, sometimes means giving up on long-time favorite dishes. For me, that’s the taquito. Those tightly packed and deep fried bundles of deliciousness were at the top of my most missed foods list. But no longer! These Cheesy Keto Beef Taquitos (try saying that out loud a few times fast) are perfect for filling that taquito-shaped hole in my stomach, and all while keeping me in ketosis.
One of the biggest differences between these Cheesy Keto Beef Taquitos and regular taquitos is that no flour tortillas are used. Instead, the shells are made entirely of cheese. These also don’t require any deep frying. The cheesy shells are baked in the oven before the taquitos take shape and once together they’re done.
This is definitely one of those easy recipes that comes together quicker than expected. I typically try to make these right before I’m ready to eat so they don’t have too much time to cool. You can reheat these in the oven, but they’re so much better when eaten right away. Enjoy!
Cheesy Keto Beef Taquitos
5m prep time
20m cook time
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On the stove, heat oil in a large pan on medium-high. Add the minced onion and ground beef. Cook until beef is browned.
- Add taco seasoning and water to the pan. Stir thoroughly. Let simmer for 5 - 10 minutes or until all the liquid is evaporated.
- In a large bowl, mix the cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Divide the cheese mixture into 6 then shape into balls.
- Place each ball onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400°F for 6-8 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- emove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Flip upside down on the parchment paper, then spread a scoop full of the beef mixture on each shell. Roll each one into a taquito shape.
- Garnish with your favorite hot sauce and/or full-fat sour cream and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Officially Gluten Free.