I have often believed that the key to good garlic bread is all in having the courage to use an obscene amount of butter, and I stand by that belief. But in this case, it’s not just about the butter… it’s also about the cheese. A whole lot of cheese. This simple skillet bread uses a couple of kitchen shortcuts and a generous amount of garlic, butter, and cheese to make a pull-apart bread that’s soft but oh-so-cheesy and nearly impossible to stop snacking on.
I mean, just look at that stretchy cheese action! Hard to resist, right? And luckily it’s super easy to achieve. This doesn’t require any kneading or rising or actual bread-baking skills, since it relies on pre-fab refrigerated biscuit dough.
You’ll just want to cut each round of dough into quarters before dipping it into a mixture of melted butter, garlic and Italian seasoning. Those buttery, dripping wedges of dough get tucked into a baking dish or skillet, and then plenty of cheese (Monterey Jack for melting ability, Parmesan for nutty flavor) get tucked in and around them.
That way, there’s cheese in every nook and cranny so once it comes out of the oven and you get to pulling it apart you get delightfully melty cheese and plenty of buttery garlic goodness in every single bite.
Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Bread
Serves 8 Prep 10m Cook 25m
- 2 (16-ounce) tubes refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a large 14 or 15-inch cast iron skillet with butter or nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cut each biscuit into quarters and dip into butter mixture. Arrange dough pieces in bottom of skillet.
- Tuck Monterey Jack in and around dough pieces, then drizzle any remaining butter mixture over the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from A Spicy Perspective.