Whether you serve these breadsticks with pizza, pasta, or just by themselves (hey, no judgment here), this recipe will not disappoint.
Who doesn’t love warm, cheesy breadsticks? We have searched high and low for the perfect breadstick recipe that is soft and fluffy on the inside, with just a hint of crisp on the outside. This one hits the spot every single time! Don’t be intimidated by using yeast for the dough – it’s really quite simple, and beats store bought dough by a landslide.
Whether you serve these breadsticks with pizza, pasta, or just by themselves (hey, no judgment here), this recipe will not disappoint. We recommend making a double batch! If you’re feeling adventurous, try your hand at this copycat recipe of Papa John’s style garlic butter dip!
Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
Serves 6-8 45 min
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Chopped parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 450ºF and grease a 9x13 baking sheet with butter or cooking spray.
- Combine 1 cup flour, sugar, dry yeast and salt in a large bowl and stir until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine water and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Microwave on high for 15 seconds, or until very warm to the touch.
- Add water and oil mixture to the flour bowl, along with the egg white. Beat the ingredients together for 3-4 minutes by hand, or 2 minutes on medium speed with a hand mixer.
- Add remaining flour in small increments, just enough for the dough to form a ball.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface 5-6 minutes, or until dough springs back when lightly pressed with two fingers. Cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, transfer dough onto prepared baking sheet. Spread dough to cover entire sheet. Cover and let rest for another 20 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- While dough is rising, combine the melted butter and garlic cloves in a small bowl. When ready, brush garlic butter over dough and sprinkle with cheese and chopped parsley.
- Bake for 11 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve warm!
Recipe adapted from Love Bakes Good Cakes.