I don’t think I’m alone in saying that I love pizza. I especially love homemade pizza, though I don’t always have the time (or the energy) to do things from scratch. Enter: Cheesy BBQ Chicken Pizza Pinwheels. This dish is everything you love about BBQ chicken pizza all wrapped up in a fun, easy to make recipe.
There are two kinds of cheese, red onions, bacon, chicken, and of course, BBQ sauce, all rolled up in a delicious, flakey crust with extra cheese on top that’s baked to a slightly crispy texture. Pour some more sauce on top and sprinkle some fresh parsley or green onions over everything, and you have yourself a new favorite weeknight dinner!
For the purposes of this recipe, I used refrigerated dough to speed the process along. If you have the extra time to make your own crust from scratch, go for it! However, the refrigerated stuff sure makes this a lot easier. You can typically find pre-made pizza dough in a bag near the eggs and dairy section in the grocery store, or in a can, like Pilsbury.
Start by prepping the meats. You can grab microwave bacon to make things easier, and really, I’m all about making things easier when it comes to weeknight dinners. As for the chicken, you can cook and shred it, or for another shortcut, grab a rotisserie chicken to shred.
After you have everything ready, roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface and spread a thin layer of bbq sauce over it, leaving room around the edges. Then, sprinkle on cheese, chicken, onion, and bacon on top and roll up the dough, pinching the seams together to seal everything up.
Cut your pizza log into 8 slices and place in a round pan, baking for 25 minutes at 400°. Remove from the oven, add more cheese on top, and bake for an additional 5 minutes until cheese is slightly crispy. Serve with a bit of parsley for garnish and more bbq sauce for dipping, and you’re good to go! Trust me, your family is going to love this as much as mine does!
Cheesy BBQ Chicken Pizza Pinwheels
Makes 8 pinwheels
15m prep time
30m cook time
- 14-16 oz refrigerated pizza dough (Pillsbury canned pizza dough will work)
- 1/2 cup sweet BBQ sauce, plus extra for serving
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 3 slices bacon, cooked, drained, and finely chopped (microwavable bacon is fine)
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease 8 or 9 inch round baking pan; set aside.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out the room temperature pizza dough to approximately 18x10-inch rectangle.
- Spread BBQ sauce over the surface of the dough leaving a 1/2-inch border all around the edges.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese over the dough, then top with chicken, onion, and bacon.
- Starting on the long side, roll the dough away from you into a tight cylinder, tucking and pulling as you go. Pinch the seams together to seal.
- Cut into 8 equal slices and place cut side down in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top and continue baking for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately with additional BBQ sauce for dipping.
Recipe adapted from Saving Dessert.