We’ve come across various carrot cake recipes before, but we can safely say we’ve found the best one – and it’s perfect for a party, since it really feeds a crowd! Now of course there are versions out there that have coconut and pineapple, but we’ve got a slightly more pared back version, one that is absolutely delightful and that can be tweaked to cater to your carrot cake preferences; for us, that’s a spiced cake, stuffed to the brim with carrots and flecked with raisins and pecans. And don’t forget the cream cheese frosting!
If you haven’t made carrot cake before, it’s a breeze to make. We use vegetable oil and butter to keep this cake extra moist and never dry – plus, mo’ butter, mo’ better – then a combination of regular and brown sugar to get that deeper, richer flavor. Add to that two teaspoons of cinnamon and a healthy dash of nutmeg and you’ve mastered that perfectly spiced flavor that we love and yearn for in a carrot cake. That and, oh yeah, 4 cups of carrots to really make it clear we’re making CARROT CAKE here. Unapologetically carrot-y, folks.
And for the show-stopping element that truly is our favorite part: the cream cheese frosting. Easy breezy and completely addictive, this frosting comes together in five minutes (warranted you start with room temperature cream cheese and butter) and it’s just a matter of beating your ingredients together and getting the frosting to your desired consistency. Then it all gets smoothed onto the beautiful, golden brown cake and the rest is history. So, so good, you guys, and perfect for absolutely any get-together!
Party Carrot Cake
Serves 16-20; 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a baking sheet with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat cream together vegetable oil, melted butter, sugar and brown sugar for 3-4 minutes, or until fluffy and smooth.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract, then gradually add dry ingredients, mixing until just incorporated.
- Fold in carrots, raisins and pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared baking sheet (13x18 inches) and place in oven. Bake for 24-26 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- While cake bakes, beat together cream cheese and butter for 3 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla extract and salt, then gradually mix in powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Once cake is cool, top with frosting and slice into squares.
Recipe adapted from Love From The Oven