It might look a little different than normal sauces, but trust us, it’s so good!
Okay, there’s nothing wrong with traditional barbecue sauces, but every once in a while we really crave something totally different to shake things up. This mustard BBQ sauce does just that! With mustard as the base, naturally, we built on that by adding apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, honey and maple syrup, then kicked things up a notch by also throwing some chipotle peppers in there. You need to try this stuff – you’ll be hooked!
We made this last weekend when we had a bunch of friends over and, while some were surprised to see a barbecue that was bright yellow, after trying it, they were quick to exclaim their newfound love for it! Trust us, even the most die-hard traditional-BBQ-sauce-lovers in your life will get on board with this tasty dip, you’ll see!
Mustard BBQ Sauce
Serves 6 5 minutes
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine mustard, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, honey and maple syrup in a medium bowl.
- Mix until smooth, then stir in minced chipotle pepper, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic and onion powders.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, then transfer to an air-tight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. (More time in the refrigerator gives flavors more time to develop.)
- Serve over your choice of meat and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Self Proclaimed Foodie