I know, this isn’t really a “salad” in the traditional sense, but there’s something fun about calling this sweet treat a “salad” – and besides, who doesn’t want a salad for dessert! Our caramel apple fluff salad is, in a word, fun – fun to make, fun to eat, fun to share. It’s a little bit wacky but it’s so yummy, and you can play with the ingredients to make this just about any way you want! It’s like a caramel apple dipped in chocolate-caramel cookies and topped with whipped cream – yum!
We start by mixing up some creamy-sweet flavor with instant pudding – you can choose butterscotch or vanilla – and Greek yogurt. Next, we fold frozen whipped topping that we’ve thawed to a soft consistency. Then, we take four tart apples (we use Granny Smith’s here) and dice them up, along with chunks of chocolate-caramel coated cookie candies (aka Twix!) and give everything a nice stir until all of the ingredients are evenly mixed. For garnish, we take a spoon and generously drizzle our salad with a “dressing” of golden and delicious caramel topping.
Fun recipes like this really pique the interest of our littlest chefs. Our kids have really gotten into cooking shows, and a simple recipe like this one is a great way for them to try out their cooking skills. Sure this isn’t actually cooked, but it’s a great way to inspire a little creativity and to get them interested and active in the kitchen! It’s really simple to make and it’s fun to share.
A long holiday weekend seems like the perfect time to enjoy a cool treat like our caramel apple fluff salad. And we love that this is the type of cooking we can invite the kids to get involved in, too. We know, it isn’t the healthiest food, but it’s not intended to be a daily meal, just something fun that we can make to share with our friends on a special occasion or for a casual gathering. We’re fairly certain that, with this caramel apple fluff salad recipe, no one will have a problem with eating salad for dessert!
Caramel Apple Fluff Salad
- 1 (16 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 4 granny smith apples, sliced into chunks and drizzled with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 (3.4 oz.) packages instant butterscotch pudding
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 (11.4 oz.) bag mini Twix bars, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup caramel syrup, garnish
- In a large bowl, beat together buttermilk and butterscotch pudding mix and mix for 3-4 minutes, or until smooth and thickened.
- Fold in thawed frozen whipped topping, then mix in apples and Twix.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, or until set, then drizzle with caramel syrup [final shot] and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Six Sisters Stuff.