This recipe is hailed as the “top tailgating recipe of the south” and it’s easy to see why. A little sweet, a little spicy, it’s also creamy, cheesy, and full of bacon and buttery crackers. In other words, deeelicious, and it’s all (or at least mostly) thanks to the signature ingredient, Captain Rodney’s Boucan Pepper Glaze.
So what is Captain Rodney’s Boucan Pepper Glaze? Well, it’s a sweet and spicy sauce that’s pretty much irresistible and it’s the company’s most popular product. If you can’t find it locally, the closest substitute would be some red pepper jelly but for the true experience, you should go ahead and have some shipped to you from the maker themselves.
You mix that glaze with some mayo, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green onion, and bacon and top it all off with cracker crumbs before baking it into warm, bubbly, cheesy oblivion.
Suffice it to say, it’s the type of dip everybody goes home from the party talking about because it has everything you could want out of a dip. It has crunch, it has creaminess, cheesiness, the crackle of smoky bacon… it has it all! But the thing you’ll keep coming back to is that sweet and spicy flavor combo. It’s what every gathering needs.
Captain Rodney's Cheese Dip
10m prep time
15m cook time
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup butter crackers, crushed
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup Captain Rodney's Boucan Pepper Glaze
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the mayonnaise and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add cheddar cheese and mix to combine. Add the Boucan Glaze, green onions, and half of the bacon. Stir to combine.
- Spoon into a pie plate or baking dish. Top with cracker crumbs and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Top with remaining bacon and more Boucan Glaze before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Bell Buckle Company Store.