Cabbage pie is one of those comfort food dishes that grandma always made for a holiday or a family breakfast and of course we loved it, in part, because grandma took such pride in making it. Now we love it for its classic charm and how darn delicious it is. A cabbage pie skillet isn’t just for a special family meal, now we serve it up for a weeknight dinner. Our cabbage pie skillet is a great way to serve up a little bit of comfort without stirring up too much effort. What we end up with is a meal that is belly-warming and delicious.
We love the combination of textures in this dish; the crunchy cabbage, savory onion and creamy filling that comes from a mixture of eggs, sour cream, and half-and-half. Everything bakes off in the oven and we’re left with a golden crust that adds flavor and wonderfully subtle crunch. Once slice of this and you’ll soon know why it’s just so amazing, just simple, good food that is satisfyingly delicious.
A one-dish-wonder is something we particularly enjoy when it comes to weeknight meals. Even better is how cost-effective a meal like this is, basic ingredients come together to make something really good. This is a great way to get rid of any vegetables that might be wilted and near their end, which makes us feel like we’ve not been wasteful when it comes to the food that’s in our fridge. If you’ve got some leftover rice, then throw that into the mix as well; rice will add a little extra substance to the meal as a whole, but we think it’s pretty darn amazing without the rice added in. Serve this for a brunch or for a weeknight dinner – it’s sure to satisfy your hungry bunch just as it does ours!
Cabbage Pie Skillet
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté onions in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat in oil and butter, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper until softened. Add cabbage and stir gently.
- Beat eggs, sour cream, half and half, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add flour and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over top of cabbage and onions, then transfer skillet to oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until top of casserole is golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Lydia's Flexitarian Kitchen.