This peach cake is everything we love about homemade baked goods: buttery, flakey, sweet, and delicious!
This peach cake is everything we love about homemade baked goods: buttery, flakey, sweet, and delicious! This peach upside down cake has a secret ingredient: brown butter. Ok, so it’s not so secret (seeing as it’s right there in the title) but it sure does the trick every time!
So, what is brown butter, you ask? It is butter that has been cooked a little past the melting point, just enough to toast the milk solids found in butter. By browning the butter, you bring out a rich, nutty flavor otherwise not found in regular butter! All you have to do is cook the butter over medium heat in a sauce pan until it starts to brown. That’s it! Add in some brown sugar, peaches, vanilla, and almond, and you’ve got yourself one irresistible cake.
Brown Butter Upside Down Peach Cake
Serves 8 1 hr
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 peach, thinly sliced
- 1 stick butter, divided and softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk + 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 inch round cake pan with butter and flour.
- In a large saute pan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Stir in water and brown sugar and continue to cook until sugar is dissolved, about three minutes. Add in peach slices and cook an additional 2 minutes. Set aside.
- For the brown butter: Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Swirl butter in pan until it begins to brown and smell nutty. Pour brown butter into a bowl and set in freezer for about 10 minutes - until the consistency is close to softened butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together.
- In a separate bowl, cream together softened butter, brown butter, and sugar. Add in eggs one at a time, mix to combine. Finally, add in vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour and buttermilk in three batches.
- Arrange peach slices in the bottom of prepared cake pan. Pour the caramelized brown sugar over the peaches.
- Add the batter, one spoonful at a time, to the cake pan. Spread evenly over the pan and the peaches.
- Place pan in oven for 25-30 minutes, until a wooden skewer comes out mostly clean.
- Remove pan from the oven, and carefully flip out onto a plate, letting the caramel glaze drizzle down. Let cool for a few minutes, and serve up hot!
Recipe adapted from Cooking For Keeps.