We all know the old mantra “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day” – and when this comes out of the oven, we can’t help but agree! When we find ourselves needing to feed a hungry bunch, we throw a few ingredients into a baking dish and voilà, a delicious brunch is ready to be served.
The recipe is fairly simple: all you need are some eggs, broccoli, and a little diced ham. While using frozen broccoli is totally fine, we really prefer to use fresh when we can. It just takes a minute to cut up and requires just a quick boil to get it ready for this dish. And we all know how well eggs and cheese work together…change up the cheese routine by adding a cup of feta and this dish becomes extra amazing! This meal is just so good, we wouldn’t mind eating it for dinner instead of breakfast!
Broccoli and Ham Breakfast Casserole
1 hour to prepare serves 6-8
- 3 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 8-10 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup feta cheese, diced or in thick chunks
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9 x 12-inch pan with cooking spray.
- If using frozen broccoli, thaw and drain any excess water before adding to dish. If using fresh broccoli, trim florets and steam or blanch briefly. To blanch broccoli, simply place broccoli florets into a pot of salted boiling water for 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to immediately transfer broccoli into a bowl of ice water (this will stop the cooking process). Cool completely in the ice water, then drain on a towel before adding to remaining ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Scatter broccoli, ham, and onion into baking dish, then pour in egg mixture and sprinkle cheeses over the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until edges begin to golden. Serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen