I don’t know what it is about the combination of broccoli and cheese together in a soup that makes it so good. This particular soup is one I like to make for a simple dinner or lunch, usually with a generous slice of bread on the side so I can properly clean the bowl. A rustic soup relies on the right mixture of texture and flavor to make it deliciously satisfying, and that’s just what I intend to do here.
Building layers of flavor will bestow upon this soup a richness that makes a broccoli cheese soup so darn good. Russet potatoes will give the soup its creaminess, but potatoes on their own are bland. I add flavor by cooking the potatoes in chicken broth and then adding sharp cheeses and subtly sweet sautéed onions to round out savoriness.
To make this a broccoli cheese soup, I need broccoli and cheese! One of my favorite shortcuts is microwave steamed broccoli. It saves me the process of prep work, not that it’s difficult, but I like not having something else to clean. But now, I’m ready for soup. I’ll fill the bowl and with my soup and then put about a 1/4 cup of the cubed chicken in the center of the bowl. I toss my toasted croutons over the top and grab a big spoon; I’m ready for comfort food!
A bowl of warm and hearty, rich and creamy soup is the definition of comfort food. The soup is simple to make, and its rustic charm adds a mystery ingredient that makes it taste so amazing. Enjoy!
Broccoli Cheese and Chicken Soup
15m prep time
30m cook time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 4 Russet potatoes, medium-sized, cubed and peeled
- 32oz (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups of water
- 3 cups of milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 5 cups frozen broccoli florets
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot.
- Add sliced onions. Sauté until tender.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, bay leaf, and garlic powder to the stockpot.
- Boil potatoes until tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Pour potato mixture into a food processor along with 2 cups of water. Blend together. Set aside.
- Add milk to the stockpot. Bring to a simmer.
- Add Colby Jack and Cheddar cheeses and potato mixture to stockpot. Mix together and allow the cheese to melt and the mixture is smooth. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook broccoli according to microwave instructions and then give it a rough chop.
- Add broccoli to the stockpot. Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top with cubed chicken and croutons. Enjoy!