The sauce makes this dish.
Breakfast for dinner is one of the tastiest and cheapest ways to get dinner on the table in a hurry. An omelette with greens is a simple way to get some veggies in there, too, rather than making something sweet. This recipe comes from Armenia where it is customary to top many things with a sauce called borani.
This simple sauce is popular in Iran, Turkey, and Armenia and usually includes spinach, whole milk yogurt, and fresh garlic. In this recipe the greens are sautéed with the eggs and the yogurt sauce is served on top.
The original recipe calls for beet greens, but if you don’t have them or don’t enjoy their unique taste then you can use a spring mix or spinach instead. You’ll want to chop or tear them roughly and then blanche the greens in a little bit of water before adding them (along with butter) to the frying pan.
Pour the beaten eggs over the top and then season with salt and pepper. It’s also nice to put some salt and pepper in with the eggs before whisking as well so that there’s no chance of them being under-seasoned.
The yogurt sauce is simply minced fresh garlic and whole milk yogurt. Once the omelette is set in the middle slide it onto a plate and fold it in half. Top with the borani sauce and you’re all set for a tasty breakfast, brunch, or dinner with an Armenian twist.
Borani Omelette with Greens
10m prep time
10m cook time
- 2 cups beet greens, spinach, or spring greens
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Roughly chop the greens. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt to a small pan of boiling water. Blanche the greens for 2 minutes on low. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk eggs together with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/ 8 teaspoon pepper. Mince the garlic and add it to Greek yogurt and mix well. Set yogurt aside.
- In a skillet melt butter over medium-low heat and sauté greens for 2 minutes. Add eggs to greens and season with remaining salt and pepper. Cook without stirring for 1-2 minutes or until center is set.
- Remove omelette to plate, fold in half, and top with garlic yogurt sauce.