When I’ve got a hankering for something sweet but can’t decide on what to make I love a good blondie. People in my family argue over which type of brownie is the best, but they never fight about this treat. These blueberry blondies are simple, uncomplicated, and brimming with blueberry flavor. They are happiness in bar form and so easy to make.
The blondie batter for these bars is a cinch to make. Cream together the butter and some white sugar, as well as some brown sugar. Then add in egg, vanilla extract, and lemon extract. If there was ever a more classic pairing than blueberries and lemon then I’ve yet to see it. And, the lemon extract in this recipe does the trick nicely to balance out the sweet flavor of the blueberries.
Add in the flour then fold in one cup of the blueberries. After you pour this into a 9″x9″ baking dish then you scatter the rest of the blueberries on top. After 40 minutes bake time these blondies need about 20 minutes to cool of before you slice into them.
Once you taste these tender, sweet, yummy blueberry blondies you’ll understand why they’re such an old favorite. Personally I think these go perfectly for breakfast, but any time is a good time for a treat this good.
Makes 9 squares
40m prep time
40m cook time
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, divided (thaw and drain if using frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and 8”x8” baking dish. In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and lemon extract and whisk until blended. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in one cup of blueberry.
- Pour batter into pan and scatter remaining blueberries on top. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until blondies are golden brown and a knife inserted into center (not into blueberries) comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
Recipe adapted from Tasty.