There are a lot of cooking hacks going around these days, but this one really grabbed my attention. If you love a classic bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich then you’re probably going to be head over heels for the quesadilla version. And, using a simple trick it couldn’t be be easier to make a multilayered, crispy, tasty BLT using flour tortillas and some simple geometry.
I grew up making quesadillas with just one fold. Doing it this way it takes up a lot of space in the pan. And, it can be hard to turn once the first side is done cooking. Using an ingenious trick you make them take up only a quarter of the surface area and yet have the cheese be all melted and gooey.
Once you have all your ingredients ready the secret is to cut a slit halfway across a large flour tortilla. Visualize the tortilla in 4 quadrants or sections. Slather on your mayonnaise onto the first section and then top with some bacon. Fold the tortilla over the top of the bacon and turn the whole thing over. After that you have a circle with a 1/4 of it folded down.
In the next section place your diced tomatoes and then salt and pepper them. Fold that over as well. Then in the last section add some lettuce and cheese and then that, too, gets folded over. You’re left with a nicely folded wedge that’s filled with yummy flavors.
Fry these up in some melted butter for 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve with some guacamole or ranch dressing and you’ve got a perfect lunch or dinner option that’s a fun (and creative) take on the classic BLT.
Makes 4 quesadillas
15m prep time
15m cook time
- 4 large large size flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4-6 slices cooked bacon, cut into 8-12 pieces
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3/ 4 - 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons guacamole
- Cut flour tortilla halfway from center. In one “corner” spread a little mayonnaise. Cover this with bacon. In second corner add some tomato and season with a little salt and pepper. In last corner add cheese and lettuce. Now fold up the bacon section over onto the tomato section. Fold these onto the cheese section so that all ingredients are encased in tortilla. Repeat for each quesadilla.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to a large skillet. Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add 2 folded quesadilla to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Place finished quesadilla on an oven-safe plate in the oven on the lowest setting to keep them warm while you prepare the others.
- Repeat process for second batch. Remove quesadilla from oven. Serve with guacamole or ranch dressing if desired.
Recipe adapted from The Country Cook.