For most people chocolate cake is the height of tasty indulgence. A rich and moist cake really brings out the flavor of the chocolate. But, add a few other ingredients, like caramel and toffee, and you’ve got a cake that will satisfy even the most intense sweet tooth.
This recipe starts with a chocolate box cake mix for simplicity. This is a great way to doctor up plain cake mixes! After the cake comes out of the oven is when the magic happens.
After the cake has cooled for about 5 minutes, you’ll poke holes at regular intervals in the cake using a chopstick or skewer. This allows the other ingredients to soak through the cake completely. Do not wait until the cake has completely cooled as the heat will help the liquid ingredients to penetrate the cake.
Then you pour a jar of caramel sauce on top and let that absorb into the cake. Next you pour a can of sweetened, condensed milk over that. The combination of the flavors with chocolate cake is heavenly.
At this point you’ll let the cake cool completely before frosting the cake. For the frosting you only need whipping cream and some powdered sugar. Whip until soft peaks form.
After the frosting is smoothed on your creation is ready for the final touch that puts this cake over the top into its own category of delicious. The last topping is a layer of rich, buttery toffee chips. If you don’t have these you can also use crushed Heath bars. Simply place the candy bars in a zippered plastic baggie and hit with a rolling pin to break them up.
This is a tasty way to elevate a boring box cake mix and make it into something extraordinary. For a decadent cake with a fun twist, better than anything cake is surefire hit.
Better Than Anything Cake
30m prep time
35m cook time
- 1 15.25 box of chocolate cake mix (plus the ingredients to prepare the cake mix called for on the package)
- 1 16-ounce jar of caramel sauce
- 1 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 8-ounce bag of toffee chips (or crush 3-4 Heath candy bars)
- Prepare chocolate cake mix as instructed on box using a 9x13 cake pan.
- Allow cake to cool for 5 minutes and then poke holes in cake at regular intervals using a chopstick or skewer.
- Pour caramel sauce over the top of the cake and allow it to soak in.
- Then pour the can of sweetened condensed milk on top as well.
- Let cake cool completely.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and continue to whip.
- Frost cake with frosting. Top with toffee candy pieces and refrigerate one hour or more before serving.
Recipe adapted from Tastes Better From Scratch.