There’s not much that a brownie can’t fix in life. At least, that’s how it feels when you bite into a really good brownies, and these are are really. good. brownies. Now they might not be for everyone, since we put a very special ingredient into the mix, but they seriously hit the spot if you like said ingredient. Have you guessed what the secret ingredient is yet? It’s beer! Before you get worried, don’t worry, the alcohol burns off while these bad boys bake, leaving behind the perfect amount of flavor. This means: choose your beer wisely! We used a chocolate espresso stout, but feel free to use whatever strikes your fancy…you can’t go wrong with these.
Once you’ve got your beer, whip up your brownie batter and pop everything in the oven. This next part is optional, but we highly recommend it – frosting time. Now, if this batch is for a big beer lover feel free to add a splash of beer into the frosting, otherwise butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract are all you need. Spread a thick layer of that creamy goodness onto your brownies once they’ve cooled (if you can wait that long), then you’re good to go. This recipe is the perfect example of making one small change that totally elevates a dish, so try it out!
Serves 10-12; 1 hour
- 1 cup dark beer (Guinness or coffee stout)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 6-8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line an 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat together egg and both sugars for 2-3 minutes, or until thickened and ribbony.
- Melt butter and unsweetened baking chocolate together in a microwave-safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Mix melted chocolate into sugar and egg mixture until fully incorporated, then stir in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Stir in beer and vanilla extract until mixture is smooth, then transfer batter to baking dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- While brownies cook and cool, cream butter in a large bowl or mixer and gradually mix in powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat for 3-5 minutes, or until desired texture is reached.
- Spread over cooled brownies and enjoy!