Sometimes you get a pizza craving, but you want something that’s a little bit healthier… That’s where dishes like this Barbecue Chicken Pizza Bake come in. There’s no crust involved, but it still has that absurdly delicious flavor combo of barbecue sauce, red onion, and chicken that Barbecue Chicken Pizza does. There’s some cheese going on, but depending on what kind of barbecue sauce you use, it can totally be a much healthier lower carb alternative to fulfill that craving.
Did I mention that it’s really easy to make? Well, it is. There’s no searing or pre-cooking needed; it’s just a simple baked dish that’s on the table in thirty minutes or less. (I don’t know about you but I’m always looking for more of those kinds of recipes. Always.)
You tuck some boneless skinless chicken breasts into a baking dish and smother them with barbecue sauce. This tastes just as great with a lower-sugar sauce, so if you’re watching your carbs, feel free to go ahead and start your ovens. You bake the chicken for twenty minutes before you add all the other goodness to it.
There’s still gouda and red onions and pickled jalapeños and bacon to finish things off. Once those are added, it heads back into the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt and the onions to mellow a bit. Now, I know it can be hard for everyone to agree on pizza toppings, but luckily you can treat this the same way you would a half-and-half pizza – leave the jalapeños off half, add more onions to the other, etc. No matter how you arrange it, that’s all the work there is for you to do – dinner is served!
Barbecue Chicken Pizza Bake
Serves 4 30 minutes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cilantro, chopped, for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9x11-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper and arrange in baking dish. Pour barbecue sauce over and around chicken, making sure that some sauce gets under the chicken as well.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with cheese, red onions, jalapeños, and bacon. Return to oven and continue baking until chicken is cooked through and cheese has melted, 5-10 minutes more.
- Top with cilantro and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Little Spice Jar.