Longtime readers might remember when we made a slow cooker Texas trash dip several years ago that was ridiculously filling and tasty and absolutely addictive. Well, we’ve got another Texas trash dip for you today, but this time it’s oven-baked and smothered in cheese. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: it’s so, so good. Now we can’t say how exactly this dish got its name, but it’s essentially a beefed up, warm bean dip. Literally, it’s packed with ground beef, cream cheese, sour cream, beans, salsa and cheese, and we don’t think we could love it anymore than we already do.
While it is super easy to make this dish in the slow cooker, just brown your beef, then throw all the ingredients in the crock pot, this is also a great choice for the oven. You still have the ease of basically throwing all the ingredients together, but where this dish really surpasses the slow cooker version is with the molten and bubbly layer of cheese that goes on top and bakes into the dip. Browned and beautiful, that cheese layer is the stuff of beauty, especially knowing all the delicious stuff that’s happening underneath.
Now there are a couple switches you could make to cater this dish to your family and friends’ tastes. Whether it’s omitting the beef and using refried beans without any animal byproducts to make it vegetarian-friendly, or using Velveeta instead of cheddar cheese for extra silky, cheesy smoothness, there’s no wrong way to make it. It tastes amazing, has everyone hooked after the first bite and will be the number one thing people beg you to make and bring to people’s parties – trust us on this; we speak from experience!
Baked Texas Trash Dip
Serves 8; 45 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (28 oz.) can refried beans
- 1 (1 oz.) packet taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 4 cups Mexican blend cheese, grated
- fritos or tortilla chips, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat a large pan or skillet over high heat and cook beef until no pink remains. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Drain fat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together sour cream and cream cheese until smooth and combined.
- Add in beef, refried beans and salsa, then stir in taco seasoning.
- Transfer mixture to 9x13-inch baking dish and top with cheeses. Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes