Far more often than we’d like to admit, we’re throwing together a dinner with a few scraps of this and that left in our refrigerator or pantry. It’s moments like these that we whip up unexpected magic, and a meal without an official recipe becomes one of our family favorites. Our bacon and veggie casserole is coated with cheese and slathered in a rich creamy sauce that will have everyone begging for a second helping. There’s something so special about food that is prepared with simple ingredients, and we also love knowing that we’re putting food on the table that is hearty and satisfying.
Yes, we said bacon and in this dish, it makes all the difference. Chunks of salty bacon are scattered throughout the casserole, effortlessly floating throughout the cheesy mixture to ensure that each bite of casserole will have a bite of salty bacon – yum! Thinly sliced potatoes help to add substance to the dish while the addition of broccoli florets add a healthy element and a nice pop of bright green color. We needed a creamy sauce so off to the pantry we go to grab a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. This savory sauce not only adds richness in texture but also richness in flavor. The end result is something truly delicious and was actually pretty easy to prepare.
The clatter of forks against the plate is proof that we’ve really hit a casserole homerun with this dish, but it’s really hard to do wrong when bacon is involved. This dish is perfect for a brunch or for a weeknight meal, and as it bakes the whole house will be filled with an amazingly comforting and mouth-watering aroma. It will be easy to get everyone to the table once this comes out of the oven!
Bacon and Veggies In A Creamy White Sauce
1 hour 20 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 6 ounces thick-cut bacon, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (10.5oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Scatter bacon pieces, broccoli florets, chopped onion, and potatoes evenly into casserole dish.
- Mix condensed soup with milk. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Pour soup mixture over top of ingredients in the baking dish. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until cheese begins to brown just slightly.
- Remove from oven to cool for 5-7 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.