What in this life can bring you more joy than a really good breakfast sandwich? Maybe a breakfast sandwich that’s made in sliceable, shareable loaf form… Yeah, that should do it. Our Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid combines an easy biscuit dough with savory crisp bacon, creamy chive-studded scrambled eggs, and melty cheddar for what just might be the ultimate breakfast sandwich. (Except it’s one that’s big enough that you won’t mind sharing one iota.)
You’re going to start here by basically making a biscuit dough. Cut butter into some self-rising flour (more on that in a minute) until it’s nice and crumbly, and then stir in some buttermilk and knead it a bit before you roll it out into one big rectangle.
Don’t have self-rising flour? No problem. Just add 3 teaspoons of baking powder and a half teaspoon of salt to all-purpose flour. Same thing!
You’ll line the center with plenty of scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese and then cut slits on the sides so you can fold the flaps of dough over the top (and over each other a bit). After that it takes just twenty-five minutes in the oven, so it’s fairly fast and unfussy for such an impressive breakfast!
All you have left to do is slice and serve. And enjoy… but thanks to the flavor soft, tender biscuit holding together savory bacon, eggs, and cheese, that’s rather easy to do.
Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid
15m prep time
25m cook time
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon chives, snipped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, cut the cubed butter into the flour until it resembles sand. Make a well in the center and add buttermilk. Stir in with a fork until fully moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until dough holds together. Roll out into an 8x12-inch rectangle and transfer to parchment paper, reshaping if needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, chives, and salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the melted butter in to a skillet and scramble the eggs until they are soft.
- Spread eggs down center of dough and sprinkle with bacon and cheese.
- Cut diagonal strips on each side to within a quarter inch of filling. Fold strips over each other.
- Brush dough with remaining butter. Bake until golden brown, 25 minutes.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen.