If you rely on chicken a lot for dinner, it can be hard to come up with new, delicious ways to cook it. Well, never fear! I’ve got one more option for you with this Apricot Chicken Bake. It takes boneless skinless chicken and pairs it with canned apricots, onion soup mix, and a few other goodies for a dump-and-bake dinner that’s as easy as it is delicious. It’s an ideal sweet and savory flavor combo and you don’t have to chop, sear, or fuss over anything to make it – just add everything to your baking dish, pop it in the oven, and voila – dinner’s done!
Now, I realize it’s perhaps not the prettiest dish out there but don’t let that stop you from trying it – looks can be deceiving and this is truly tasty stuff. Aside from the canned apricots, there’s also apricot preserves and apricot nectar that are mixed with some Dijon mustard and onion soup mix. You just stir those things together and pour them over and around some chicken thighs and bake it all up. That’s it.
I realize the combination of sweet apricots and onion soup mix might seem odd but it’s one of those instances where sweet plays off of savory incredibly well. It’s a little tangy, a little sweet, with a rich onion flavor and it turns out moist chicken every single time.
I love to top it off with a few crispy fried onions once it’s out of the oven – it’s the perfect little crunchy addition to the moist chicken and soft apricots below. This is great with white rice or even soft polenta, anything you can spoon that sweet and savory sauce over!
Apricot Chicken Bake
10m prep time
45m cook time
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 (14 oz) can apricot halves, drained
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place chicken in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Nestle the apricot halves in and around the chicken.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the onion soup mix, apricot nectar, Dijon mustard, and apricot preserves. Pour over chicken and apricot halves.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, 45-55 minutes.
- Top with fried onions and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.