There’s something so soothing about the combination of apples, molasses, and vanilla. Mix these ingredients together in fresh batch of crepes (with homemade syrup no less) and you’ve got an indulgent breakfast or dessert treat that rivals any waffle or pancake.
To begin making this recipe you’ll need to start making the syrup. If you’re pressed for time you can use maple syrup instead, but honestly this homemade version is pretty special and only takes a few minutes to whip up.
In a saucepan combine brown sugar, apple cider, molasses, and butter and cook for 2 minutes until totally smooth. Allow the syrup to cool while you make the crepes.
Mix the batter ingredients together and stir until no lumps remain. Like all crepe batters the mixture will be thin and that’s ok. You wan’t a batter that is easy to manipulate in the pan.
Unlike other crepe batters this recipe has molasses in the mix for a rich, deep flavor. Most of us probably see crepes as a vehicle for all manner of yummy toppings (more on that in a minute), but these crepes have in-built flavor for a more layered taste experience.
Heat your skillet over medium heat and then pour in 3 to 4 tablespoons of batter, swirling the pan as you do to distribute the batter. The first couple you make might be a bit wonky, but you get the hang of it very quickly. And if you’re out of practice then it’s pretty much just like riding a bike- you never really forget.
For the real flourish that makes these crepes amazing serve them warm with apple butter layered in between each crepe. Then pour that homemade sauce over the top. The combination of a rich syrup served with crepes is no unlike crepes Suzette, however this apple jack version is bursting with the flavors of apple cider, brown sugar, and butter- in short all the best things in life!
Apple Jack Crepes with Homemade Syrup
30m prep time
18m cook time
For the syrup:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
For the crepes:
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup molasses
For the topping:
- 1 28-oz jar apple butter
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
To make the syrup:
- In a small saucepan mix brown sugar, apple cider, molasses, and butter and cook over medium high heat for 2 minutes, stirring often. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
For the crepes:
- Combine batter ingredients in a large mixing bowl until uniform in color and fully blended. Stir until no lumps remain. Batter will be runny.
- and swirl pan to coat it in batter. Cook until golden brown flipping when the top side just barely begins to set (about 30-45 seconds each side).
- Add apple butter between each crepe. Pour homemade syrup over the top and garnish with powdered sugar if desired.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious.