When it comes to simple dessert recipes it doesn’t get much easier than this! Just three core ingredients are all you need for this Angel Pineapple Cake that comes together in a matter of minutes. One of my favorite things about it is that you can keep the ingredients on hand at all times. Cake mix and a can of pineapple? Shelf stable! And we’re the kind of household that always has at least one tub of cool whip in the back of the freezer! Voilá, a homemade treat at a moment’s notice.
While it is an incredibly simple recipe, there are a few tricks for getting prime results. First off, make sure to use a *large* mixing bowl. The batter will nearly double in size and you don’t want a mess on your hands! The second thing: don’t undercooking the cake. You want to make sure the center is fully done so it doesn’t fall. The best way to check this is with a few toothpick inserts, checking that they come out nice and clean.
Top it all off with a layer of cool whip and coconut and you have one tasty treat on your hands. No one has to know just how easy it was to throw together. That is, until they ask you for the recipe… because chances are they will. Folks love this cake!
Angel Pineapple Cake
5m prep time
28m cook time
- 1 (16 oz.) box angel food cake mix
- 1 (20oz) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 (12 oz) tub cool whip, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine angel food cake mix, ½ cup coconut flakes, and pineapple (juice included) in a large bowl. Batter will expand! Stir until evenly combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cake cool then frost with cool whip and sprinkle with remaining coconut flakes.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com