If you’ve finished the process of making your Amish Friendship Bread starter, this is going to be the first bread you want to make with it. It’s an absolute classic and it never seems to stick around long in our house. We can barely get it out of the pan before it’s devoured! It’s reminiscent of a coffee cake and has the most divine cinnamon sugar flavor, but you don’t need to go to all the trouble of making a filling and a crumb top.
This is a quick bread that everyone should have in their recipe file, hands down. It’s a simple bread, but it’s totally delicious in its simplicity. It has the most amazing crunchy sugary crust and a soft and moist center. And it mixes up in one bowl! There just aren’t enough words to describe how delicious it is.
If you don’t have an Amish Friendship Bread Starter, you can find the steps to the process here. Amish Friendship Bread starter is a sweet sourdough starter that you make by mixing together some flour, milk, sugar, and yeast and leaving it at room temperature to ferment. The process takes ten days but involves little more than occasionally feeding the starter with more milk, sugar, and flour, and mixing the starter up every once in a while. On the tenth day, you divide the starter up into one cup portions to give to friends. It’s a wonderful base for all kinds of breads and other baked goods as well as a lovely gift to pass from friend to friend.
Amish Friendship Cinnamon Bread
Serves 6-8; 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread starter
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small box vanilla instant pudding
- Preheat oven to 325°F and lightly grease 2 9x5-inch loaf pans with non stick spray.
- Mix together 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon and dust the greased pans with half of cinnamon/sugar mixture. Set remaining cinnamon mixture aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except reserved cinnamon/sugar mixture, and mix well.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pans. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture over the top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Adapted from The Friendship Bread Kitchen.