If you’re in need of a new dessert recipe, look no further. This old-fashioned Amish Cottage Cheese Pie is a classic treat that every cook should have in their collection. Amish Desserts have a reputation for being made with real ingredients and not skimping on the good stuff– this recipe is no different. It’s made with kitchen staples, and the results are nothing short of heavenly. Let’s get into how it’s made!
Start out by spooning a full 16 ounce tub of cottage cheese into a strainer and allowing it to drain for about 30 minutes. This gets rid of the liquid so you don’t end up with a soggy pie! Mix together the drained cottage cheese and the rest of the ingredients except the egg whites. The whites will be beaten in a separate bowl until thick enough to form stiff peaks. Fold the whites into the cottage cheese mixture and your filling is ready.
The one corner we did cut here was in choosing to use premade pie crust. Feel free to go with homemade, but we can’t deny we love the convenience of store-bought. Whichever route you go, the filling will be poured into the unbaked crusts and then for 15 minutes at 425 degrees and then the temp will be lowers to 350 degrees for the remaining time.
Allow the pies to cool completely before slicing, allowing them to fully set and the flavors to develop even more. Serve them chilled or at room temperature, and top off each slice with whipped cream for an added layer of creaminess. The custard texture is sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike, bound to evoke nostalgia among older folks. Give this classic Amish recipe a try, and we’re sure you’ll love it as much as we do.
Amish Cottage Cheese Pie
Makes 2 pies
20m prep time
40m cook time
- 2 premade pie dough rounds
- 1 (16 oz) container cottage cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- Spoon cottage cheese into a mesh strainer over the sink or a bowl, and allow it to drain for about 30 minutes to let most of the liquid to drain out.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and fit the pie rounds into two ungreased pie dishes and crimp edges as desired.
- Combine the drained cottage cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, vanilla, salt, egg yolks, and both milks in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, add egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into the filling mixture and whisk until fully combined.
- Pour filling evenly into the prepared pie crusts and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for 25 minutes or until cooked through the center.
- Allow pies to fully cool before slicing.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com