Anyone tasting this soup will think it took WAY more time and effort than it really did…we love it!
There comes a turning point in the year when we go from enjoying as much time as possible outside to wanting to stay bundled and cozy indoors. At that point, there’s really nothing more that we want than a hearty pot of soup to fill us up and keep that familiar warmth around us.
While we love our collection of family recipes that require starting our soup or stew in the morning and letting it sit and simmer away all day, we like to have a quick and easy dish to turn to that comes together in minutes and only needs five ingredients…just five! Here, we made up a shockingly delicious broccoli cheddar soup that, just by tasting it, we’d never guess it was so easy and quick to make. Finish work and take it easy, this soup is the perfect way to (easily) end the day!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Serves 6 30 minutes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz.) bag frozen broccoli
- 1 (15 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine onion, chicken stock and broccoli in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook for 15 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
- Season with salt and pepper, then reduce heat to medium and stir in evaporated milk and cheese.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then transfer to serving bowls, garnish with rosemary (if using) and serve hot.
- Note: if you want a creamier soup (or if your soup curdles), stir in heavy cream until combined, then serve and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Budget Savvy Diva