The name “funeral potatoes” may sound a bit grim, this vintage casserole dish has brought joy to many a table with its comforting presence. Cheesy, creamy funeral potatoes are classic comfort food that’s meant to be shared. Casseroles and comfort go hand-in-hand, and this recipe for funeral potatoes is a great example of a storied casserole tradition. Celebrations are often a time when we’re asked to bring a dish to share and our recipe for funeral potatoes is something that everyone will enjoy. It’s made with simple ingredients and probably the most simple ingredient of all: love.
Many a fond memory has been shared over a generous serving of these creamy, cheesy, comforting potatoes. This is a recipe that’s as perfect for a new cook hosting for the first time as it is for the seasoned casserole-maker. We’ve got mashed potatoes that are made extra flavorful with the addition of cream of mushroom soup. To up the flavor factor, we like to use sharp cheddar cheese, shredded. It’s folded into the mashed potatoes along with tangy sour cream. To finish, toss some corn flakes in some melted unsalted butter; this will help the top of the casserole turn a beautiful golden color and crisp texture. Scatter the corn flakes evenly over the top of the potatoes then bake.
This is ready to serve as-is when it comes out of the oven, but we also can’t resist a little pop of color by adding a sprinkling of dried herbs, optional but another way to add flavor. Funeral potatoes might have a history of being served after a funeral, but they’re really about family celebrations and sharing a meal with the ones we love. If you’ve had them before, you know what we mean. Funeral potatoes mean comfort food and we love a casserole that makes everyone feel warm and welcome. This is a classic recipe that is a staple in many a grandmother’s recipe tins and one that has and will continue to be enjoyed for generations.
Vintage Funeral Potatoes
Serves 8; 40 minutes
- 2 (10 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
- 4 cups potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups corn flakes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, stir cream of chicken soup and sour cream into mashed potatoes.
- Mix in cheddar cheese, then season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, toss corn flakes with melted butter until they’re all evenly coated.
- Transfer potatoes to a 9×13-inch baking dish and cover with corn flakes.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until corn flakes are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.