Here at 12 Tomatoes, we’re generally more about following comfort food than following trends, but when something that is true comfort food goes viral, you can bet we pay attention. This Chicken Cobbler has been making the rounds on social media and as soon as we saw it, we knew we needed to give it a try.
Made from a few simple shortcut ingredients, it takes just a few minutes to throw together and gives you a bake that’s a little like chicken and dumplings, a little like chicken pot pie, a little like cobbler, with a lot of comfort.
This is not a “from scratch” situation. No, this is leftover rotisserie chicken, a bag of frozen peas and carrots, a can of chicken soup, some chicken broth, and — maybe most importantly — Red Lobster’s Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix. (And some milk and butter and garlic powder too.)
And then, really, you’re basically just layering things. You place your baking pan in the oven to let the butter melt, and then top it with the chicken, followed by the peas and carrots. Season it.
Then, you stir together the milk and biscuit mix and pour it over the top. But —very important!— do not mix the layers together. Just pour it over.
And then, mix together the chicken broth and chicken soup and — once again — pour it over, but do not mix the layers. Put it in the oven.
In the oven, magical things happen. You haven’t stirred anything together, but some of the liquid migrates down so things get saucy and the biscuit mix hangs out on top so things get, well, biscuity. You end up with savory chicken and veggies swimming in a delicious sauce and something akin to dumplings topping it all off. But not just any dumplings, cheddar-flavored Red Lobster “dumplings.” It couldn’t be easier and it’s certainly easy to see why it went viral.
TikTok Chicken Cobbler
10m prep time
45m cook time
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put butter in a 9x13-inch baking dish and place in oven to melt butter while oven preheats.
- Once butter has melted, remove pan from oven. Arrange chicken in an even layer over butter. Next, add peas and carrots over the top. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a medium bowl, mix together milk and biscuit mix. Pour over chicken and vegetables but do not mix the layers together.
- In the same (now empty) bowl, whisk together cream of chicken soup and chicken stock. Pour over biscuit layer, but again, do not mix layers together.
- Bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes. Mixture will be runny, but will thicken to gravy consistency. Let sit 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.