If you like corn or corn chowder, this Bacon Chili Corn Chowder should absolutely be the next dish you make. Corn chowder in general is a great base, so it’s like the stars all align when you add bacon and hot chilies. And don’t worry if you don’t like anything too spicy; it’s easy to adjust the heat by not adding all the green chilies or Chipotle peppers. This soup has everything: creaminess, sweetness, spice and crunchwe’re over the moon about it!
Bacon Chili Corn Chowder
3 slices bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 large yellow onions, diced
1/2 cup scallions, chopped
2-3 tablespoons butter
6 ears corn, shucked, shaved off the cob (5 cups)
1-3 whole Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, diced
1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons Masa
salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cook your bacon pieces over medium heat. Once the bacon fat begins to render, add in the diced onion. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes. (Optional: remove some of bacon and save for garnish.)
- After the onions start to soften, add butter to the pot, let melt and then add corn. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add both chilies and stir, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a simmer, then pour in cream.
- In a small container, combine Masa (or cornmeal) with a little bit of water and mix together, then pour into the soup. Allow to cook and thicken for around 15 minutes. (If you want it to be thicker, add more Masa or cornmeal with water. Then let simmer for another 10-15.)
Recipe adapted from BBQ Pit Boys