Are you ready for a new, sweet treat that’s perfect for any time of year, but especially for the holidays? We’ve got this easy, tasty recipe for sugar cookie popcorn that’s got all the yummy flavors of a sugar cookie, but transformed into a sweet and slightly salty treat! Forget making and rolling out the dough, preheating the oven and trying to bake sugar cookies for just the right amount of time, this is a treat that comes together in 15 minutes and only requires the microwave. Yes!
So to get the right sugar cookie flavor we flavored vanilla candy melts with more vanilla extract and our secret ingredient, almond extract. Pro tip: if you’re not using almond extract in your sugar cookie dough, you need to be; it enhances the overall flavor and will make your sugar cookies stand out from the rest, especially during a season practically devoted to sugar cookies (and their decoration), you want to make sure they taste as good as they look!
Anywho, back to the popcorn. You’ve got your flavor-enhanced sugar cookie drizzle to pour over the popcorn, then it’s up to you if you want to add any further embellishment. This isn’t essential by any means, but we found adding sprinkles, sanding sugar or nonpareils to be the easiest, cutest way to add a little something extra to your sugar cookie popcorn. This sweet comes together so quickly and tastes amazing…bring it to your next party and watch people rave about it!
Sugar Cookie Popcorn
- 1 (2.75 oz.) bag popcorn, popped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups vanilla candy melts or white melting chocolate or almond bark
- red and green sprinkles, optional
- Place popcorn in a large bowl.
- In a microwaveable bowl, melt vanilla candy melts in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth.
- Toss everything together until popcorn is evenly coated, then let sit before serving.
Recipe adapted from Your Homebased Mom