One of the most refreshing things to eat is a nice salad, especially when the weather gets warm. But, I don’t mean the puny iceberg variety that at best serves as side. We’re talking big flavor and a satisfying arrangement of nuts, cheese, fruit, and a poppy-seed dressing to bring it all together. Served on a bed of mixed greens this strawberry basil salad makes a perfect dish to take to summer gatherings- or anytime of year for that matter!
The last time I brought this salad to a family event it was gone well before the party was over. But, I’ve been making this salad for years and I can tell you that this is the result every time. The prefect taste of strawberries here is stunning with the slightly-sweet dressing poppy seed dressing.
There’s a bit of sugar in the vinaigrette and just a bit of onion powder and freshly-cracked black pepper, too. If you’re thinking that strawberries don’t “go” with these savory seasonings then clearly you’ve got to try it to believe it. They perfectly bring out the full flavor of the berries without making the salad into something inherently salty.
The addition of some chopped toasted almonds and some feta cheese make this a hearty salad that won’t leave you feeling hungry after you eat it.
The final touch is some chopped basil to add a unique freshness to the salad. It’s honestly the best combination and makes the whole dish feel elegant somehow. If you’re in need of a salad that people will actually enjoy this one’s a home run at picnics and parties.
Strawberry Basil Salad
15m prep time
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 10 oz fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 (4 oz) container mixed greens
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Whisk in olive oil until emulsified. Add poppy seeds, onion powder, salt, and pepper and stir well.
- In a large bowl toss together greens with chopped basil and strawberries. Top with dressing and then add chopped almonds. Finally add feta cheese to top of salad and serve within 1 hour of dressing.
Recipe adapted from Food Network.