Smoked Trout Dip
The perfect balance of smoky & creamy.
If there’s a creamy dip on the menu, I am probably going to order it for the table. Will it ruin our appetites for dinner? Maybe. Is it typically worth it? Absolutely. And a dip I can never resist is Smoked Trout Dip. It’s rich, it’s creamy, and even folks who don’t like fish usually enjoy it. The smoky flavor is taken to a whole new level when paired with lemon and tangy capers. It’s everything I could want in an appetizer, especially when served with freshly toasted bread!
My adoration for this dish got me thinking that I should try my hand at making a batch myself, and it turns out it’s even easier than I could have imagined! And every bit as tasty as the restaurant versions. Let’s get into just how it’s made…
The base of this creamy dish will be cream cheese and sour cream. The cream cheese gives it a rich and thick texture while the sour cream adds just the right amount of tang. Lemon juice and a bit of Worcestershire sauce are then added to really amp up the flavor. After removing any skin or bones from the smoked trout, it’s mixed into the cream mixture with some fresh dill, capers, and salt and pepper. The dip is then transferred to the desired serving dish and popped in the fridge to let all the flavors meld together. When ready to serve, a little extra fresh dill and a slice of lemon make for a beautiful garnish.
Serve with chips, crackers, toasted bread, or veggies- there’s no going wrong with a dip this tasty. It can also be used as a spread for sandwiches or bagels for a quick and easy meal! Friends and family are guaranteed to be impressed that you whipped this up from scratch. No need to tell them how easy the recipe really is!
Smoked Trout Dip
10m prep time
- 6 oz smoked trout, skin and bones removed
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons non pareil capers
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crackers or veggies for dipping
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the sour cream, cream cheese, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until combined.
- Flake the trout into small pieces and add to the cream mixture along with the dill, capers, and salt and pepper. Adjust to taste and transfer to serving dish.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Withspice.com