Swedish meatballs was one of those treat recipes when I was growing up. We had them at potlucks and special occasions, but in our family they weren’t an everyday type of meal. In my mind it’s still a festive dish, but the fact that this Swedish meatball soup is made in the slow cooker makes this an achievable weeknight meal. If you’re looking for a hearty and comforting soup then look no further.
To make this dish begin by combining your ground beef with a beaten egg, cream, breadcrumbs, and some chopped onion. Then roll into meatballs. The traditional size is around half an inch, but to make them fit on spoon nicely you can make them smaller. The choice is up to you.
Then brown the meatballs in some butter before adding them to the Crockpot. On top of that pour in mushrooms, onion, beef broth, and seasonings. The secret to a good Swedish meatball sauce is the addition of Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, and allspice which give them an aromatic and slightly spices quality.
Once you’ve let that cook for a few hours you add in uncooked egg noodles and some more cream and then set the heat to low to cook for another 10 minutes.
This soup is excellent when served with some fresh dill weed on top. I’m biased because it’s one of my favorite herbs, but dill does feature heavily in Scandinavian cooking. This is also wonderful with some bread on the side as well to dip into the rich and creamy soup liquid.
This easy-to-make and hearty Swedish meatball soup will be extremely popular at the dinner table, trust me.
Slow Cooker Swedish Meatball Soup
25m prep time
3h 25m cook time
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 yellow or white onion, chopped and divided
- 1 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 package (8 oz) white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 32 oz-carton beef broth
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups medium egg noodles (about 6 oz dried noodles)
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped dill weed for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl combine egg, 1/3 cup of the cream, breadcrumbs, half the chopped onion, and 1 teaspoon of salt until uniform. Add in beef, breaking it up by hand as you combine.
- Form into 1/4 “ to 1/2” balls and cook in butter over medium heat until browned on outside, about 12-15 minutes. Remove meatballs from pan and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- In a slow cooker combine meatballs, mushrooms, remaining onion, broth, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, allspice, remaining salt and pepper.
- Cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours in slow cooker on high. Add egg noodles and the remaining cream. Turn slow cooker to low. Cook for another 10-15 minutes. Garnish with fresh, chopped dill weed if desired.
Recipe adapted from Pillsbury.